Last week, I had to go to our school district to ask for a transfer for The Diva. The school the district wants her to go to is over 7 miles away and they want her to take the bus. Yeah, not in this lifetime will I allow my daughter to ride a school bus with no seat belts. Oh, but that is a whole other rant. Anyway, we have a school literally across the street from us, one 4 blocks away and three more within 3.3 miles of us and the district wants her to go to a school 7 miles away! Plus the test scores at that school aren’t as good as I would like them to be.
I also had to find a school with a K1 class because The Diva is so advanced that normal kindergarten would be boring to her. Ahh, yes, the problem with being po’ and having an extremely smart child…We can’t afford to pay for private school or move to a better school district, so I have to beg the district to put my baby girl in an unassigned school.
I put myself and my daughter’s education at the mercy of some district number cruncher and I prayed. I prayed that my letter of reasoning for the school change will be accepted. I prayed that the gods of elementary schools will see that she needs to be challenged. That she needs a teacher that will take an interest in her and want to help her achieve her potential. That she cannot be in a school where the goal of each day is to simply maintain order and not actually teach the students. My Husband and I checked the test scores of all the schools in our immediate area. I called and talked to the principals. I asked about what programs they offer, not only for advanced students, but for the arts and music as well.
We decided on two schools. There were two others that we liked, but the district only allows a first and second choice. Double Oy.
So I filled out the form, wrote the explanation letter and handed it to the secretary with trembling hands. She looked it over and then told me that we would have their decision by….MID AUGUST, but possibly by May.
You mean to tell me that I agonized over what school would be the best fit for my beautiful baby girl for days, got the application in early and I wont know if my daughter gets to go to the good school until at least AUGUST or possibly MAY???
I almost started to cry.
So for the next 3-6 months I get to wonder and worry about my daughter’s education and whether or not I just screwed her up completely because my plea wasn’t good enough to get her into the right school!!
I just love being a Mom and a rational adult some days.